Special Elections Process:
- Submit a letter to the Governor notifying him of a death or resignation. (Exception: In the event of a death or resignation by a state legislator the Secretary of State must be contacted.)
- Upon receipt of letter, the Governor will notify the county party chair.
- A convention must be called and held within 21 days of being notified of a vacancy.
- After the convention, the convention chair shall submit the name of the predecessor to the Governor by hand delivery or certified overnight postal mail.
- The Governor shall appoint within seven days. After seven days the appointment becomes official by default.
- The Governor shall commission a letter of appointment and certificate to the Secretary of State.
Statutes Pertaining to Elected Officials:
District Office: K.S.A. 25-3901 et Seq.
County Sheriff: K.S.A. 19-804
United States Senator: K.S.A. 25-318
United States Representative: K.S.A. 25-3501
State and County Offices: K.S.A. 25-312
Please send notification letter to:
Governor’s Office of Appointments
300 SW 10th Ave.
Topeka, KS 66612
For further information, please contact:
Email the Appointments Office