Governor Laura Kelly Congratulates Three Kansas Schools on Receiving National Blue Ribbon Award
TOPEKA – Today, Governor Laura Kelly congratulated three Kansas schools on being named 2022 National Blue Ribbon Schools.
“Congratulations to Cottonwood Elementary, Morris Hill Elementary, and R.L. Wright Elementary on receiving the prestigious National Blue Ribbon award,” said Governor Kelly. “This recognition showcases your tireless efforts to support your students and communities. My administration will continue to invest in your success so we can provide a world-class education to every Kansan.”
The three Kansas schools named today as National Blue Ribbon Schools are:
- Cottonwood Elementary School, Unified School District #385 Andover
- Morris Hill Elementary School, Geary County School District
- R. L. Wright Elementary School, Sedgwick Public Schools Unified School District 439
The Blue Ribbon recognition is based on a school’s overall academic performance or progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups, and affirms the hard work of educators, families and communities in creating safe and welcoming schools where students master challenging and engaging content.
With its 39th cohort, the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program has bestowed approximately 10,000 awards to more than 9,000 schools.
The U.S. Department of Education recognizes all schools in one of two performance categories, based on all student scores, subgroup student scores, and graduation rates:
- Exemplary High-Performing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap-Closing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students.
Up to 420 schools may be nominated each year for the National Blue Ribbon award. The Department invites National Blue Ribbon Schools nominations from the top education official in all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Department of Defense Education Activity, and the Bureau of Indian Education. Private schools are nominated by the Council for American Private Education.
Photographs and brief descriptions of the 2022 National Blue Ribbon Schools are available at https://www.nationalblueribbonschools.ed.gov/.