Today, Governor Laura Kelly congratulated five Kansas schools on being named 2021 National Blue Ribbon Schools.
“Congratulations to Grandview Elementary, Ellsworth Elementary, Roosevelt Elementary, Mahaffie Elementary, and Sabetha Elementary on receiving the prestigious National Blue Ribbon award,” said Governor Laura Kelly. “This recognition showcases your tireless efforts to support your students and communities – no matter the challenges. Trust that my administration will continue to invest in your success so we can provide a world-class education to every Kansas kid.”
The five Kansas schools named today as National Blue Ribbon Schools are:
- El Dorado – Grandview Elementary School, El Dorado Public Schools Unified School District #490.
- Ellsworth – Ellsworth Elementary School, Ellsworth Unified School District 327.
- Hays – Roosevelt Elementary School, Hays Unified School District 489.
- Olathe – Mahaffie Elementary School, Olathe Unified School District 233.
- Sabetha – Sabetha Elementary School, Prairie Hills Unified School District 113.
The Blue Ribbon recognition is based on a school’s overall academic performance or progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups, and affirms the hard work of educators, families and communities in creating safe and welcoming schools where students master challenging and engaging content. Now in its 39th year, the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program has bestowed approximately 10,000 awards to more than 9,000 schools.
The Education Department recognizes all schools in one of two performance categories, based on all student scores, subgroup student scores and graduation rates:
- Exemplary High-Performing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap-Closing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students.
Up to 420 schools may be nominated each year for the National Blue Ribbon award. The Department invites National Blue Ribbon Schools nominations from the top education official in all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Department of Defense Education Activity, and the Bureau of Indian Education. Private schools are nominated by the Council for American Private Education.
To view the full list of 2021 National Blue Ribbon Schools, please click here.
Photographs and brief descriptions of the 2021 National Blue Ribbon Schools are available at https://www.nationalblueribbonschools.ed.gov/.