The Governor’s constituent services section was established for the primary purpose of assisting citizens of the State of Kansas with state government issues and concerns. The Governor’s office acts as a facilitator to help resolve issues between state agencies and constituents in an effective and professional manner.

What exactly is casework?

Casework can be defined as the assistance provided at the request and on behalf of Kansans in their dealing with state agencies. Typically, Casework involves individuals, groups with a common concern, or small businesses, and can include a problem, grievance, question of eligibility, need, or other tangible interest or benefit to these groups.

The basis for this service by the Governor’s office can be found in the Preamble of the Kansas Constitution: “ We, the people of Kansas, grateful to Almighty God for our civil and religious privileges, in order to insure the full enjoyment of our rights as American citizens, do ordain and establish this constitution of the state of Kansas.” Certainly there is little doubt that the casework function of the Governor’s office will assist to promote the full enjoyment of our rights as Kansans.

The Governor’s office has the ability to address many of the concerns of my constituents if they are encountering problems associated with state government or a state agency. Examples of state agencies are listed below:

  • Kansas Department of Revenue
  • Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks
  • Kansas Department of Commerce
  • Kansas Department of Agriculture
  • Kansas Department of Health and Environment
  • Kansas Department of Labor
  • Kansas Department of Transportation
  • Adjutant General of Kansas

Click Here To Begin via E-mail

What is not casework?

Unfortunately, due to the separation of the executive and judicial branches of government, members of the Governor’s office cannot intervene in matters involving criminal and civil legal cases. Examples of these types are listed below with suggestions as how best to proceed in those matters:

  • Legal Issues
  • Child custody issues
  • Divorce cases

In these circumstances a constituent may contact the Kansas Bar Association at 785.234.5696 or Kansas Legal Services at 1.800.726.6953 to seek assistance addressing these types of concerns.

Additionally, certain cases which involve federal agencies are not under the Governor’s direct jurisdictional authority to intervene as the Governor of the State of Kansas. Examples of these types are listed below:

  • Internal Revenue Service
  • Medicare
  • Social Security Administration
  • Veterans Administration
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service

If you are having problems associated with a federal agency you should contact the members of the Kansas Congressional Delegation. Their contact information is listed below:

United States Senate

United States House of Representatives

If you have any questions as to whether or not your concerns is a matter best addressed by the Governor’s office, please do not hesitate to contact our constituent service team at 785-368-8500 or click here to contact us via email.

Getting Started by Mail:

  1. Print and complete the Privacy Consent Form
  2. Print and complete the Casework Intake Form
  3. Submit the two forms above, along with any pertinent documents, to the following address:

Governor Jeff Colyer, M.D.
ATTN: Constituent Services Division
300 SW 10th Ave, Room 264-W
Topeka, KS 66612


The Governor’s constituent services team strives to resolve complaints submitted by Kansas Citizens. In some instances, an agency compliant may not be resolved to the satisfaction of the constituent. This outcome could occur for a myriad of reasons including statutory limitations, jurisdictional boundaries, department/division policy, or exhaustion of agency resources. In this, decisions are final and may not be overturned even with additional communication.

In such circumstances, a constituent may be able to pursue their concern through statutory modification of existing laws or by contacting an attorney to determine possible legal recourse.

Stay Informed. Subscribe to our Grassroots Newsletter